Sunday, October 16, 2011

Real life gratitude practice

Yesterday, my 12-year-old daughter and I were in my car, leaving the grocery store parking lot. As I started turning left on the green light, I saw a white blur out of the corner of my eye. Seconds later, we were crunched by a big white Dodge RAM pickup.


I was glad I'd caught a glimpse of him as he swung around a slower car and tried to make the light. I was able to turn away from the main impact, and my daughter and I walked away, mostly unscathed. She's got no soreness, and doesn't even seem that affected by the wreck. I'm banged up a bit, most likely because I was able to see him coming and that tensed me up.

I write a lot about gratitude here, and I really like to practice what I preach. So, here's what I'm thankful for:

First and foremost, I'm thankful that no one was injured.

I'm thankful that the guy who hit us was covered by insurance.

I'm glad it wasn't my fault.

I'm thankful for the reminder that cars, for the most part, are big scary things. I'll bear that
in mind next time I feel like my light rail commute is taking too long.

I'm glad that I had my car as long as I did. I loved that car. It will be missed. I'm also
thankful for the reminder that things are just that - things. A car can be replaced. People can't.

And, I'm thankful that this unfortunate event has brought me back to my blog. I hope you've missed it as much as I have. Life's too short not to blog!

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment