Monday, November 7, 2011

Today's Assignment 11/7/11

I commute to work each day via mass transit - first a walk to the transit center, then a light rail ride, then a transfer to the bus. All told, it takes just under two hours. For the most part, I love my commute, and use it to ease into my day, and back out of it. But, that's a long time to be sitting in one spot, in recirculated air, with no possibility of opening a window or making a stop.

When I got to the transit center this morning, I was feeling a little disconnected. There was time to take a breath before the bus arrived, so I walked half a block to a small patch of grass. I stood on the grass, took a few deep breaths, and looked up to see a huge flock of geese flapping their way across the gray morning sky. I was recharged, and I felt reconnected to my world. And, of course, I thought "hey, there's today's assignment!"

For today: take five minutes at some point in your day, and find a little piece of nature somewhere. Even if it's a flower box on a downtown building, touch the planet for a few minutes. Take a few deep breaths, breathing out the artificial, taking in the organic. Reconnect. Repeat as necessary.

We are a part of this earth, and the earth is a part of us. Stay in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment